Monday, February 12, 2007

Mission Statements (II)

OK so I've been reading Ken Blanchard's (One Minute Manager) new book Leading at a Higher Level (He sent me an autographed copy so I had better read it cover to cover ^_^).

The book is actually broken up into essays / chapters that are written by a number of different people on his research team. But anyway, one section on writing mission statements is slightly different from what I wrote about before though more or less analogous.

Again it is broken up into three parts:
  • Significant purpose - The why of the mission statement
  • Picture of the future - The what of the mission statement
  • Clear Values - Clear and ranked values direct the day to day running of your team
I would have to agree.... though I feel there still might be a place for the how that I mentioned in the previous post about mission statements... though how's might be related more to objectives than to mission statements. Any ideas on this matter as always are well appreciated in the comments section!

However, the WHY is something I totally agree with. Sometimes this can get muddled in with the what, but other times, especially with long lived organizations, you need a stronger why. (If your mission was to land a man on the moon, and you have already achieved this, why else should your organization exist?)

Anyway, much more reading to get through. Until next time!
-Jason



No comments: